#1 Platinum Eagles Buyer Las Vegas & Henderson
Nevada Coin Mart is the LARGEST buyer of Platinum Eagles coin in Las Vegas, Henderson, and the Nevada area. To make use of your pre-owned Platinum Eagles coin, come to our store to get a fair assessment and instant cash!
The U.S. Mint has always produced limited numbers of proof coins. As a result, the market is rife with opportunities for collectors to operate. Since platinum is rare, only a handful of coins minted from this metal is available in the market. For one, the U.S. Mint has only produced less than 10,000 1 ounce American Platinum Eagle coins.
The American Platinum Eagle
First issued in 2017, the American Platinum Eagle serves as the official platinum bullion coin of the U.S. It also serves as an extension of the American Eagle Bullion Program, which includes gold and silver. The 1997 coin is the first and only investment-grade platinum coin the U.S.Mint has ever issued.
The American Platinum Eagle comes in four different denominations, with each containing indicated platinum weight and legal tender value.
- 1 ounce: $100 face value
- 1/2 ounce: $50 face value
- 1/4 ounce: $25 face value
- 1/10 ounce: $10 face value
Each of the denominations is available for bullion coins and collectible proof coins from 1997 to 2008. The uncirculated coins for the four different sizes were available from 2006 to 2008. From 2009 onwards, the proof coins were only available in the one-ounce denomination. Interestingly, from 2009 to 2013, there were no bullion coins produced. Production resumed in 2014 but for one-ounce denominations only.
Platinum Eagle Coin Composition and Specifications
- To date, the Platinum Eagle coin is the only bullion coin that has weight, purity, and content guaranteed by the U.S. Government.
- Each coin contains .9995 fine platinum.
- Platinum Eagle coins with a face value of $100 weigh 1.0005 troy ounces yielding one pure ounce of platinum. The coin has a diameter of 32.7 mm and a thickness of 2.39mm.
- The Platinum Eagle coin with a face value of $50 weighs 0.5003 troy ounces. Its diameter is 27 mm, and its thickness is 1.75 mm.
- The $25 coins weigh 0.2501 troy ounces and measure 22 mm, while the $10 face value coins weigh 0.1001 troy ounces and measure 16.55 mm in diameter.
Buying Platinum Eagles
Like the Silver and Gold Eagle bullions, Platinum Eagle coins are not directly available to the public. The U.S. mint mainly distributes the Platinum Eagle coins via their authorized purchasers who resell the coins to dealers or the public.
Before, the U.S. Mint generally offer collectible proof versions of the Platinum Eagle coin to the public, either as a per denomination sale or as a four-coin set. During the first offering of the series in 1997, Platinum Eagles coins were offered as part of the Impressions of Liberty set, with the 1997 Proof Silver and Gold coins. In the following years, the coins featured rotating reverse designs.
Similarly, the U.S. Mint also offered uncirculated coin versions, which contained the four denominations. Collectors can differentiate the collectible coins from the bullion coins with the “W” mint marks and the rotating designs on the coins’ reverse.