Liberty Head Gold Dollar

#1 Liberty Head Gold Dollar Buyer Las Vegas & Henderson

History

The Coinage Act of 1849 authorized the creation of the first gold dollar coin. The first type, which was minted from 1849 until 1854, was also known as the Liberty Head Gold Dollar. The Liberty Head obverse design was recognizable as it was patterned after the $2.50, $5.00, $10.00 and $20.00 gold coin designs of the same period. The design is also referred to as the Coronet design because of the headdress on Liberty’s image. This coin series was minted at the Philadelphia, San Francisco, New Orleans, Dahlonega and Charlotte mints.

The obverse or front of the coin displays a bust of Liberty with her hair pulled back and partially covered by a coronet with the word “Liberty” across the front. Thirteen stars surround Liberty’s head to represent the original thirteen colonies. The reverse of the coin displays a wreath, (with both open and closed wreath varieties). Inside the wreath is the denomination and date of mintage. The mintmark appears just below the wreath at the bottom of the coin.

Value

There are various factors that go into determining the value of the Liberty Head gold dollars. First, there is the gold content. The Gold Dollar piece is 13 mm in diameter and has a total weight of 1.672 grams. Since they were made with 90% gold, (the other 10% is copper added for durability), one aspect of their value is based on that gold content. While they have a “1 Dollar” face value, their intrinsic value is tied to the gold content, which equates to 0.04837 of a troy ounce. As a result, and regardless of other factors, they will always be worth an amount equal to their gold weight consistent with the current gold spot price or “melt value”. Other determiners of value include scarcity, variety, mintmark and condition.

Many of the more common coins in the series in lower grade condition do not carry a premium above their gold content. Prices for common date coins do not start to exceed their gold content value until you reach extra fine or better condition coins. Branch mint coins, especially the Dahlonega and Charlotte minted coins carry a substantial premium. Years with significantly lower mintages are also often quite valuable with prices reaching tens of thousands of dollars in higher mint state depending on the condition of the coin. One extremely rare variety, the 1849 C (Charlotte mint) with an open wreath on the reverse has sold at auction for almost $700,000. This gold coin series is very popular with collectors because of their unique small size and the fact that the series followed the California Gold Rush and is therefore always associated with that unique period in U.S. history. It is also popular in that it was minted at several of the branch mints that are no longer in existence.

Because there are so many varied opinions on the condition (or grade) of a coin, the values mentioned reflect the highest retail prices that have been obtained for those coins that have been assessed by a third party grading company. Such coins have been authenticated, graded and encapsulated by expert coin grading companies to minimize any doubt as to their authenticity, quality and value and therefore their potential worth.

We Buy Liberty Head Gold Dollar Coins

We want to buy your coins and as a business it is our pledge to offer you the best value for your coins, however, always remember that the prices you may find online or in price guides usually represent the highest retail value for the coin in an already certified condition. As a trusted dealer we will have our coin specialists evaluate your coins at no cost and offer you a price that is both fair for you, but that also allows us to realize a reasonable profit.