Roosevelt Dime (1946 to Date)

#1 Roosevelt Dime Buyer Las Vegas & Henderson

History

The longest dime series to date, the Roosevelt dime came into being immediately after World War II to honor Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the 32nd president of the United States, who had died in 1945 and led the nation through the worst of the Great Depression and through the second World War until his death just before the end of the war. The series began in 1946 and continues to the present day. Like many of the dime series before it, the Roosevelt dimes were, initially, composed primarily of silver at 90% with the remaining 10% being copper. As silver became more valuable, the decision was made to remove the more valuable silver metal and produce a coin that would “sandwich” the base metals of copper and nickel with an inner core of pure copper. The sandwich term, in this case, was a reference to the layers of copper-nickel alloy. These types of coins have come to be referred to as “clad” coinage and were first introduced in 1965. As a result of this significant change in composition, the coins minted from 1946 until 1964 are generally more desirable due to the intrinsic value stemming from the high silver content. The Washington quarter dollar coins were minted in the Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco mints, (in recent years, dimes have also been minted at the newly created West Point mint).

The obverse or front of the coin displays a portrait of the head of Roosevelt with the motto “In God We Trust” appearing just beneath his chin. Roosevelt’s image faces the word “Liberty” along the edge of the coin. The date of mintage appears just below Roosevelt’s neck at the bottom of the coin. The reverse of the coin displays a torch with both olive and oak branches on either side of the torch. The motto, “E Pluribus Unum”, appears behind these symbols. The words, “United States Of America”, surround the torch and branches along the outside edge of the coin. The denomination, displayed as, “One Dime” appears under the torch at the bottom of the coin. Mintmarks appear just to the bottom left of the torch on coins minted from 1946 until 1964. No mintmarks appear on coins minted from 1965 to 1967, however the mintmarks returned in 1968 but were moved to the obverse of the coin above the date. The Roosevelt dimes minted from 1946 to 1964 weigh 2.50 grams and have a diameter of 17.9 mm. In 1965, with the use of clad coinage, the weight became 2.27 grams and the composition was 75% copper and 25% nickel bonded to an inner core of pure copper. The diameter remained unchanged at 17.9 mm. Silver proofs with 90% silver content were produced beginning in the 1950’s and continue to be produced to the present day.

Value

Most Roosevelt dimes from 1965 to present are still considered currency and therefore do not carry a premium over their face value, (silver proof examples are an exception). Roosevelt dimes in the series from the earlier years, (1946 to 1964), are referred to as “constitutional” or “junk” silver and raw, ungraded examples are generally sold and melted down for the silver content, thus extremely poor, worn example coins while having no appreciable collector value will regularly sell for the “spot price” of silver, based on their silver content. Literally millions and in some cases billions of Roosevelt dimes were minted and as a result there are no significant rarities with the exception of a few dates with double die minting errors and even these sell for only a little over $150 in high mint state. As a result, there are not many collectors of the series except for those who have interest in collecting the silver circulation strikes and silver proofs.

There are many varied opinions on the condition (or grade) of a coin, and the aforementioned values reflect the highest retail prices that have been obtained for those coins that have been assessed by a third party grading company. Such coins have been authenticated, graded and encapsulated by expert coin grading companies to minimize any doubt as to their quality and value and therefore their potential worth.

We Buy Roosevelt Dimes

We would like to buy your coins and as a business it is our pledge to offer you the best value for them, however, always remember that the prices you may find online or in price guides usually represent the highest retail value for the coin in an already certified condition. As a trusted dealer we will have our coin specialists evaluate your coins at no cost and offer you a price that is both fair for you, but that also allows us to realize a reasonable profit.